Intentionally Create The New Year of Your Dreams
What are your wildest hopes and dreams for Your New Year?
Are you ready to let go of old patterns that have been making you unhappy?
What new and wonderful things are you ready to let into your life?
I offer you this 3-step ritual to allow you to honor 2015 and then consciously create Your New Year.
Give yourself the gift of stopping long enough to become aware of your past year, so you can decide what you want to continue into 2016 and what you want to get rid of. Most of us are so busy going, going, going that we lose perspective on what our past year was really like.
Step 1: Remember
I like to sit down and look at my calendar from the past year and review month-by-month. This reminds me of my choices during the past year…how did I spend my time?…who did I spent it with?…did I have a good balance of work and play?…what were the major things going on in my life in the past year? Find some concrete way like this to remind yourself of how your year really played out.
Step 2: Release
Get some loose leaf paper. Write down anything you want to let go of from the past year…worry, anxiety, regrets, mistakes, things you wish you had not said or done, pain (physical and emotional) that you want to let go of, old patterns you want to change, activities you no longer want to participate in, negative thoughts you want to stop thinking. Those things are in the past. Write them down and choose to let them go right now.
They do not need to go forward into 2016 with you.
Now rip those pages to shreds as you release those things to the past. Throw those shreds of paper in the garbage. What I literally mean is, take them outside of your home out the to garbage can and be done with them right now. Say “Good Bye. I release all this right here and now.” Now turn around and don’t look back as you return to your home, ready to create a truly NEW year.
Step 3: Re-Focus
Write down your answers to these questions about 2015:
- What are the 3 best things that happened to me?
- What were my 3 biggest challenges?
- What was the single biggest time waster in my life during the past year?
- How did I grow (emotionally, spiritually, intellectually, physically)?
- What 3 words best describe my past year?
Write down your answers to these questions about this NEW Year 2016:
- If I had 3 wishes for 2016 what would they be?
- What would I do if I knew I could not fail?
- What 3 words would I want my loved ones to use to describe me this year?
- What 3 words do I want to guide my NEW year?
- What 3 people or resources could help me to get all these things?
- What 3 steps could I take to help me move in the direction of these wishes?