This technique is adapted from Dr. Christiane Northrup:
- Stop right now and notice your emotional state.
- Name what is bothering you. You might even write it down or say it outloud.
- Place your hand on your heart to help you focus on your heart area.
- Shift your attention to a happy, funny, or uplifting event, person, or place in your life that you appreciate. Spend a few moments imagining it.
- Bring something to mind that allows you to feel unconditional love or appreciation – maybe a child or a pet. Hold that feeling for 15 seconds or more.
- Notice how changing your thoughts and your perception has changed how you feel. See that you really do have the power to shift out of the downward spiral of negativity you may sometimes get caught in.